Plenty to talk about this week, but I will keep most of it brief. There are two very different shows available for you to download this week (that’s four hours of music). The first show is this week’s edition of Laughter, featuring the talents of Boston-area resident Adam Kellie and former Somerville resident Peter Koniuto (more about them below) as well as Ohio-based noise mastermind E.E and the epic, dark, nearly transcendent trio called Angel. I posted some information about E.E and Wise Owl Records in a previous post, but I want to stress how impressed I am by The End of Deconstruction. A review of this double-CD release is still forthcoming, so please be patient. Angel is Ilpo Väisänen (Pan Sonic), Hildur Guðnadóttir (Lost In Hildurness) and Dirk Dresselhaus (Schneider TM). I’ll simply state that their collaboration only barely resembles any of their independent work.
Adam Kellie was gracious enough to provide me with some of his music over the last month and after repeated listens I found myself more and more impressed with his work. The track I played, “Khatanga,” was recorded in 2000 by Peter Koniuto, who also provided all the percussive work and many of the loops used for the song. If you check out Red Sun Soundroom you can listen to his work as Pseudophone for free. Multi-instrumentalist Adam Kellie, in addition to being a talented musician, is also a photographer. Over the course of a couple e-mail conversations he explained to me how he approaches both mediums:
“I don’t really consider [my work] ‘electronic’ music.’ I find it more organic than that. The process has, for me, been a mood/tone based creation-experience… [I’m] not necessarily trying to show off my guitar chops, but rather trying to create a mood or sense of place… Which leads me to my photography. I’ve tried to tell a story, create a mood, or relate feeling in my photos as well as in my music. Composition has always been a priority for me…. Photography is something that I’ve studied and loved for a long time (since high school or before) and I find that I’m able to do it in bite-size chunks…”
His music is, without a doubt, visually evocative and highly structured, but neither rigid nor cold. I picked “Khatanga” for this week’s show specifically because it blended musical styles so effortlessly; Can, Coil, The Orb, Talking Heads, Brian Eno – there’s a lot going on in this song. It’s likely you’ll be hearing more from Adam Kellie on Laughter in the future – for now check out his blog and leave him a comment.
Here are the download links and the playlist for this week’s show, check below for two more hours of music.
02. Dead Meadow “The Queen of All Returns” from Old Growth (2008) on Matador
03. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds “Red Right Hand” from Let Love In (1994) on Mute U.S.
04. Magazine “I Wanted Your Heart” from Secondhand Daylight (1979) on Virgin
05. Codeine “3 Angels” from Pickup Song/3 Angels 7″ (1991) on Glitterhouse
06. Steven R. Smith “In Light” from Owl (2007) on Digitalis Industries
07. Bear in Heaven “For Beauty” from Red Bloom of the Boom (2007) on Hometapes
08. Neu! “Hallogallo” from Neu! (1972) on Astralwerks
09. White Rainbow “Mystic Prism” from Prism of Eternal Now (2007) on Kranky
10. Scraping Foetus off The Wheel “Throne of Agony” from Nail (1985) on Self Immolation/Some Bizzare
11. Zeni Geva “Autobody” from Disgraceland 7″ (1993) on Alternative Tentacles
12. Autistic Daughters “A Boxful of Birds” from Jealousy and Diamond (2004) on Kranky
13. Adam Kellie and Peter Koniuto “Khatanga” (2000) on Red Sound Room — http://pixelsound.blogspot.com/
14. Nudge “Love-In Accident” from Elaborate Devices for Filtering Crisis (2003) on Tigerbeat6
15. E.E & the Owl Archimedes “Liminal State” from The End of Deconstruction (2008) on Wise Owl Records
16. Angel “Aftermath: The Mutation” from Kalmukia (2008) on Editions Mego
17./18. Eliane Radigue “Jestun Mila” from Jetsun Mila (2007) on Lovely Music
18. Irr. App. (Ext.) “A Distended Particular” from Dust Pincher Appliances (2003) on Crouton
Today also marked the beginning of spring break for everyone at Boston College and as a result WZBC is short a few DJs this week. So, there was a second Laughter-related broadcast over the air waves, except this one had no particular format and featured WZBC’s own dj dani. Any further broadcasts made by us shall be known as Brown Mustard and will likely feature a similarly odd-ball playlist. This show was put together on the spot and is basically us having fun in the studio. It features way more talking by me than I would like and a severely high number of instances of the word “fantastic.” I want to promise everyone I will not be using that word ever again on any show in which I play a part. In fact, I intend to wipe this word completely from my vocabulary… except for those instances where it is most appropriate and no other word will do. In fact, why not play a drinking game using these mp3s? Get your friends together and every time I say the word “fantastic,” take a drink…
I will refrain from talking so much during any show unless I am asked by somebody to do so – I say some pretty stupid things, but if you ignore that you’ll find that the show is a lot of fun… Aside from that, the levels on some of the songs are too high and I laugh far too loudly. You can always just fast-forward through the chatty bits if you like, just watch your volume. Next time we’ll pay more attention to the levels in the studio.
I hope you enjoy this extra broadcast. dani has a show on WZBC every Monday from 7am-10am (just before me). She plays consistently fantas… excellent music and you should listen to it.
Thanks for stopping by!
01. Joy Division “Twenty Four Hours” from Closer (1980) on Qwest
02. Neptune “Blue Glass” from Gong Lake (2008) on Radium/Table of the Elements
03. Brown Jenkins “Dagonite” from Dagonite (2007) on Moribund Records
04. Om “Unitive Knowledge of the Godhead” from Pilgrimage (2006) on Southern Lord
05. The Fucking Champs “Thor Is Like Immortal” from IV (2007) on Drag City
06. Skinny Puppy “Worlock” from Rabies (1989) on Nettwerk
07. You’ve Got Foetus on Your Breath “I Am Surrounded By Incompetence” from Deaf (1981) on Thirsty Ear
08. The Tear Garden “The Center Bullet” from The Tear Garden (1986) on Nettwerk
09. The Legendary Pink Dots “Ego Tripper” from The Legendary Pink Box (1989) on Play It Again Sam
10. Bonnie Prince Billy “Madeleine-Mary” from I See a Darkness (1999) on Palace Records
11. Abruptum “Hostes Orco Hostium Legiones Dis Manibus Pacis Ruptores Ultioni” from Evil Genius (2007) on Southern Lord
12. Funeral “Heartache” from Tragedies/Tristesse (2006) on Freedom Findland
13. Richard Crandell “Diagonal” from Wayfaring Strangers: Guitar Soli (2008) on Numero Group
14. Jandek “Know Thy Self” from Ready for the House (1978) on Corwood
15. The Bird Names “New Mexico” from Wooden Lake/Sexual Diner (2007) on Unsound Records
16. V/VM “WINDuckyQuacker” from Help Aphex Twin 1.0 (2001) on V/VM Test
17. Agoraphobic Nosebleed “Vapor Lock” from Bestial Machinery (2005) on Relapse
18. Josh “Nasha Pyar Da ft. Smurfette” from Mausam (2006) on VIP Records
19. Tonal Oak “In the Kitchen” from Man Trouble (2007)
20. Leng Tch’e “Tightrope Propaganda” from Marasmus (2007) on Relapse
21. Feu Thérèse “Les déserts des azurs” from Ca Va Cogner (2007) on Constellation
22. Neoangin “I Miss Diego” from Scratchbook (2007) on Alive