This update is going to be brief. I’ve been breathing in the Obama victory over the last couple of days and spending a lot of time reading up on the election and other related topics.
Last week’s show was pretty varied, with plenty of new music featured. Julian took over the second hour of the show and there were just a few technical glitches of note:
- Towards the end of the show both the mic and the CD players ended up putting out way more sound than the board was registering; as a result both the music and my voice sound excessively loud. I think this is a problem with the way the CDr is calibrated. I’ll pay more attention to that next time.
- During the Akron/Family song, one of the channels on the turntable decided to disappear completely. Cleaning the pre-amp ended up fixing the issue, but one channel is missing during this song. Sorry about that.
Other than that, everything went very, very well. Juana Molina is currently running my CD player and computer; her new album is slowly destroying Fleet Foxes’ place at the top of my favorites-of-2008 list. I’ll be posting my review of Un Dia in a little while. If you’d like to hear a little more of her music, you can check out the following Youtube links or head over to Dusted Magazine and listen to the title track in its entirety:
You can also read a little bit about Molina at good old Wikipedia.
I’ll be posting a review of the Aidan Baker compilation that just came out on Important Records later tonight, too. It collects a lot of his music over two discs, but sounds more like a proper album than a sampling of his past material.
Thanks for listening; I’ll talk to you all, tomorrow.
01. The Butthole Surfers “Who Was In My Room Last Night?” from Independent Worm Saloon (1993) on Capitol
02. Pere Ubu “Final Solution” from Terminal Tower (1985) on Twintone
03. Fugazi “Give Me the Cure” from 13 Songs (1989) on Dischord
04. Deerhunter “Never Stops” from Microcastle (2008) on Kranky
05. Juana Molina “Un Dia” from Un Dia (2008) on Domino
06. Religious Knives “The Storm” from The Door (2008) on Ecstatic Peace!
07. Larkin Grimm “My Justine” from Parplar (2008) on Young God
08. Ilyas Ahmed “Silence the High” from between two skies (2008) on Digitalis
09. Mogwai “I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead” from Hawk is Howling (2008) on Matador
10. Dream End “Your Kiss” from The Long Forgotten Friend (2008) on Graveface Records
11. Godspeed You Black Emperor “The Dead Flag Blues” from F# A# Infinity (1998) on Kranky
12. Aidan Baker “Skein of Veins” from I Wish Too, To Be Absorbed (2008) on Important Records
13. Aphex Twin “Windowlicker (Acid Edit)” from 26 Mixes for Cash (2003) on Warp
14. Akron/Family “I’ll Be on the Water” from Akron/Family (2005) on Young God
15. Daniel Johnston “Story Of An Artist” from Welcome To My World (2006) on Eternal Yip-Eye Music
16. Tom Waits “Underground” from Beautiful Maladies: The Island Years (1998) on Island
17. Tom Waits “Earth Died Screaming” from Bone Machine (1992) on Island
18. Billy Bragg & Wilco “Remember The Mountain Bed” from Mermaid Avenue Volume 2 (2000) on Elektra
19. Cloud Cult “Everybody Here Is A Cloud” from Feel Good Ghosts (2008) on Earthology Records
20. Belle & Sebastian “It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career” from The Boy with the Arab Strap (1998) on Matador