Been a long time since I’ve updated the site, but there’s plenty of stuff to chat about. Just wish there were more time to chat about it. Specifically, there’s a new Jack Rose EP coming out on Thrill Jockey on June 15th, featuring his guitar work with the talents of Charles D. Speer & The Helix. It sounds a little bit like Jack meets The Band or Bob Dylan, but it’s awesome to hear him in a band setting like this one, with lots of electric jamming and some big, catchy refrains. “Prison Song” is great and the rest of the EP is just as solid. It includes a couple more originals and a version of “In the Pines” that rambles a little bit like the stuff from Jack’s record with The Black Twig Pickers.
Also new are cuts from the Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas comp and Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings. Their new album, I Learned the Hard Way, is available now and sounds excellent. Besides that, most everything is older, with a few choice cuts from 2009’s Forge Your Own Chains and a song by guitarist Sean Smith. The former is a superb collection of psychedelic jams and R&B hybrids, with some folk and rock flavors peppered throughout. It also comes in a great case/sleeve with a nice, big booklet containing information on all the performers. The Stone’s Throw website linked above has plenty of photos and information if you’re interested. It’s been in my player with the Meat Puppets almost non-stop since I first picked it up.
As to the latter, Smith has a free live EP available through Gnomelife records, featuring a number of excellent Rose or Basho-like guitar meditations, including the one featured on this week’s show. You can download the ZIP file right here, or visit the site linked above. Make sure to check it out because it rules.
And lastly, Hank Williams showed up on the show because he’s one of my favorite songwriters, but also because he was recently awarded a Pulitzer Prize for his contributions to country music (i.e., he’s responsible for some of the best stuff that genre’s seen and because he inspired just about everybody with a cowboy hat worth hearing, and a few that aren’t). I can only find a PDF from the Pulitzer website about the award, but here it is if you’re interested.
Thanks for stopping by and sorry about the lack of updates. They’ll become more frequent as I get closer to graduating.
01. Meat Puppets “Maiden’s Milk / Away” from Up On The Sun (1985) on SST
02. Thinking Fellers Union Local 282 “Change Your Mind” from Tangle (1994) on Scratch
03. Jack Rose with Charles D. Speer & The Helix “Prison Song” from Ragged and Right (2010) on Thrill Jockey — out on June 15th
04. American Music Club “Why Won’t You Stay” from Everclear (1991) on Alias
05. Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings “I’ll Still Be True” from I Learned the Hard Way (2010) on Daptone
06. D.R. Hooker “Forge Your Own Chains” from Forge Your Own Chains (2009) on Now Again / Stones Throw
07. Ton & Sergio “Vou Sair Do Cativeiro” from Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas (2010) on Tropicalia In Furs Records/World Psychedelic Funk Classics
08. Man Or Astro-Man? “Out of Limits” from intravenous television continuum (1997) on One Louder
09. The Tandems “The Rising Surf” from Lost Legends of Surf Guitar, Vol. 1 – Big Noise from Waimea! (2003) on Sundazed Music
10. Damon “Don’t You Feel Me” from Forge Your Own Chains (2009) on Now Again / Stones Throw
11. The Clean “Changing Your Head” from Unknown Country (1996) on Flying Nun
12. Guided by Voices “Cut-Out Witch” from under the bushes under the stars (1996) on Matador
13. Mekons “Lucky Devil” from Retreat from Memphis (1994) on Low Noise Music
14. Bonnie “Prince” Billiy “Blokbuster” from Agnes, Queen of Sorrow (2004) on Domino
15. Lambchop “Because You Are the Very Air He Breathes” from Jack’s Tulips (1994) on Merge
16. Silver Jews “New Orleans” from Starlite Walker (1994) on Drag City
17. Human Bell “Hymn Amerika” from Human Bell (2008) on Thrill Jockey
18. Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra “Kollaps Tradicional (Bury 3 Dynamos)” from Kollaps Tradixionales (2010) on Constellation
19. Smog “Cold Discovery” from Dongs Of Sevotion (2000) on Drag City
20. Swans “Goddamn the Sun” from Burning World (1989) on UNI
21. Hank Williams Sr. “Angel of Death” from The Complete Hank Williams (1998) on Mercury Nashville
22. Sir Richard Bishop “Cross My Palm With Silver” from Polytheistic Fragments (2007) on Drag City
23. Sean Smith “Someone Somewhere Has Sensed That I Am a Frightened Man” from Live in San Francisco at the Verdi Club, April 23rd, 2009. (2005) on Gnomelife
24. Judee Sill “The Donor” from Heart Food (Remastered) (2005) on 4 Men With Beards
25. Zak Riles “Slack Key” from Zak Riles (2008) on Important Records