Today was the day I had planned on uploading the last two shows I did on WZBC, in the wake of a Cardinals World Series victory, but apparently it wasn’t meant to be. All I have from those shows is a couple of playlists, unfortunately. Not sure what happened to my files, but you won’t be hearing any music when you try to play them.
Frustrating, but oh well.
You might still want to know what I played for one reason or another, and for the sake of documenting my play lists, I’m including them in this post.
In the meantime, I have no new music to provide, and nothing new in the way of reviews. I hope to get the ball rolling again in November, and maybe I’ll even get around to posting some of those Feldman morsels I’m still chewing on; since reading his book, I’ve jumped into AMM and Cardew territory, so there’s plenty I’d like to write about, just not enough time to do it in.
To top it all off, I have more music than I know what to do with. I grabbed a copy of the new Fahey box set, which I’ve yet to get all the way through, and I’m still in love with the latest Glenn Jones record out on Thrill Jockey. Die Schachtel is having a great year, with both their Gruppo NPS and Franca Sacchi releases commanding a good deal of my attention, along side their reissue of The Electric Harpsichord, and that doesn’t include the numerous PAN releases that I want to give my time. There are worse problems to have, but I hate it when I get out of practice like this.
But, that’s enough complaining. Here’s the R&B/funk/gospel show I played, and that I wish I could post:
- Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr “You’re All I Need to Make It” from Eccentric Soul: The Capsoul Label (2008) on The Numero Group
- The Majestic Arrows “One More Time Around” from Eccentric Soul: The Bandit Label (2004) on Numero
- Betty Wright “Paralyzed” from Eccentric Soul: The Deep City Label (2006) on The Numero Group
- Sharon Jones “This Land Is Your Land” from Naturally (2005) on Daptone Records
- Clifford Curry “Soul Ranger” from Action Speaks Louder Than Words (2006) on Vampisoul
- Little Willie Johnson “My Nerves” from Hipshakers Vol.1: Teach Me To Monkey (2010) on Vampisoul
- Nina Simone “I Love Your Lovin’ Ways” from Wild Is The Wind (1966) on Philips
- Buddy Guy “She Suits Me to a Tee” from Buddy’s Blues: The Chess 50th Anniversary Collection (1997) on Chess Records — originally released in 1966
- John Lee Hooker “No Shoes” from The Early Years: Volume 1 (2003) on tomato
- Otis Rush “My Love Will Never Die” from Essential Otis Rush – The Classic Cobra Recordings 1956-1958 (2000) on Fuel 2000
- Muddy Waters “I Am the Blues” from After The Rain (2011) on Get on Down — released by Geffen in 1969
- Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson “H20gate Blues” from Winter in America (1974) on Strata-East
- Wilson Pickett “Mojo Mama” from The Sound of… (1967) on Atlantic
- William Bell “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now)” from The Soul of a Bell (2002) on Stax — released by Stax in 1967
- Al Green “Let’s Stay Together” from Let’s Stay Together (1971) on Hi Records
- Otis Redding “You Don’t Miss Your Water” from Otis Blue / Otis Redding Sings Soul (2001) on Sundazed
- Helene Smith “Willing And Able” from Eccentric Soul: The Deep City Label (2006) on The Numero Group
- Charles Bradley and the Menahan Street Band “Heart of Gold” from Daptone Gold (2010) on Dap Tone
- Bright Lights “Motor City Funk Pt. 1” from Action Speaks Louder Than Words (2006) on Vampisoul
- Gil Scott- Heron “The Bottle” from 70s Soul Sessions (2011) on Sessions
- Shuggie Otis “Inspiration Information” from Inspiration Information (2001) on Luaka Bop — released in 1974 by Sony
- East of Underground “Smiling Faces Sometimes” from Forge Your Own Chains (2009) on Now Again — released in 1971 by the Office of the Adjutant General Headquarters, Department of the United States Army
- Orchestre Poly-Rhythmo De Cotonou “Noude Ma Gnin Tche De Me” from Volume Two: Echos Hypnotiques (2009) on Analog Africa
- Voices of Conquest “O Yes My Lord” from Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal (2006) on Numero Group
- D.R. Hooker “Forge Your Own Chains” from Forge Your Own Chains (2009) on Now Again
- Trevor Dandy “Is There Any Love” from Good God! A Gospel Funk Hymnal (2006) on Numero Group
- Sharon Jones & Dap-Kings “I’ll Still Be True” from I Learned the Hard Way (2010) on Daptone Records
and here’s the electronic set:
- The Field “It’s Up There” from Looping State of Mind (2011) on Kompakt
- Autechre “Gantz_Graf” from Gantz_Graf (2002) on Warp
- Mark Fell “Multistability 6-A” from Multistability (2010) on Raster-noton
- Roedelius “Heilsamer Brunnen” from Wasser Im Wind (2011) on Bureau B — originally released in 1982
- Michael Pisaro and Taku Sugimoto “2 Seconds” from 2 Seconds / B Minor / Wave (2010) on Erstwhile
- Gruppo NPS “Insiemi” from Nuove Proposte Sonore 1965 – 1972 (2011) on die schachtel — recorded in 1970
- Jim O’Rourke & Christoph Heemann “(track 2)” from Plastic Palace People Vol. 1 (2011) on Streamline — music recorded and mixed in 1991
- Tod Dockstader “Myst / Aw” from Aerial #1 (2009) on Sub Rosa
- Tim Hecker “In the Air: I-III” from Ravedeath, 1972 (2011) on Kranky
- Edgar Varese “Poeme Electronique” from Forbidden Planets – Music From The Pioneers Of Electronic Sound (2009) on Chrome Dreams
- Bernard Hermann “Prelude/Outer Space/Radar” from Forbidden Planets – Music From The Pioneers Of Electronic Sound (2009) on Chrome Dreams
- Louis & Bebe Barron “Battle With The Invisible Monster” from Forbidden Planets – Music From the Pioneers of Electronic Sound (2009) on Chrome Dreams
- David Cain “War Of The Worlds” from BBC Radiophonic Music (2008) on BBC Worldwide Ltd.
- Brian Eno “Sombre Reptiles” from Another Green World (2005) on Virgin UK — originally released in 1975
- Autechre “Garbagemx36” from Garbage (1995) on Warp